Milk Substitute

What is the best way to replace milk, condensed milk, or sweetened condensed milk in recipes?

asked by jwaterm1 about 6 years ago

I use vanilla soy milk when I want to substitute regular milk in a recipe. It works really well for baking

Marian Bull

I also sub soy or almond milk for regular milk in baking, but usually make sure to buy unsweetened varieties. If you're using sweetened non-dairy milk (check the label!), you may want to cut down on your sugar.

Here's an article on making non-dairy condensed milk: http://www.veganbaking.net/frostings-icings-sauces/79-condensed-soy-milk

SeaJambon

There are a number of good, non-dairy, milk alternatives. I agree that -- unless a little added vanilla flavor is desirable in your recipe -- unflavored is going to be the best. Personally, of the choices, I prefer coconut because it is by far the richest both in texture and color (plain rice milk seems only marginally better than water...). I understand that almond milk is also a good substitute, but avoid as we have a nut allergy in the family.

I use "Original" flavor Rice Milk. It works well as a sub for milk. It's a bit thin for condensed milk.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I like this recipe:
http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/san-francisco-and-magical-coconut-bars/
from the book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Romero. It's just coconut milk + brown sugar. The coconut bar recipe it's used for is also super tasty!

beyondcelery

I've used the vegan coconut cajeta in hardlikearmour's recipe here, in place of sweetened condensed milk: http://food52.com/recipes.... It works incredibly well and adds a delightful flavor!