🔕 🔔

Milk Substitute

What is the best way to replace milk, condensed milk, or sweetened condensed milk in recipes?

asked by jwaterm1 about 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I use vanilla soy milk when I want to substitute regular milk in a recipe. It works really well for baking

8e1a20a7 1500 40f0 ad58 818107a4b9ad  540434 3765129049943 1219987725 n

I also sub soy or almond milk for regular milk in baking, but usually make sure to buy unsweetened varieties. If you're using sweetened non-dairy milk (check the label!), you may want to cut down on your sugar.

Here's an article on making non-dairy condensed milk: http://www.veganbaking...

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

There are a number of good, non-dairy, milk alternatives. I agree that -- unless a little added vanilla flavor is desirable in your recipe -- unflavored is going to be the best. Personally, of the choices, I prefer coconut because it is by far the richest both in texture and color (plain rice milk seems only marginally better than water...). I understand that almond milk is also a good substitute, but avoid as we have a nut allergy in the family.

I use "Original" flavor Rice Milk. It works well as a sub for milk. It's a bit thin for condensed milk.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I like this recipe:
http://www.theppk.com/2009...
from the book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Romero. It's just coconut milk + brown sugar. The coconut bar recipe it's used for is also super tasty!

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I've used the vegan coconut cajeta in hardlikearmour's recipe here, in place of sweetened condensed milk: http://food52.com/recipes.... It works incredibly well and adds a delightful flavor!