🔕 🔔

My Basket ()

All questions

Rich milk

Found a recipe in an old cookbook calling for rich milk. My best guess is that this means whole milk, but that seems like the standard back then (and I've never seen skim milk noted in old recipes) so can anyone confirm?

asked by Posie Harwood over 1 year ago
6 answers 1402 views
8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Chops is a trusted home cook.

added over 1 year ago

I thought rich milk was condensed milk when perusing recipes from cookbooks from the 50's.

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added over 1 year ago

Years ago when milk was delivered the top two inches of it was cream ....the bottles were shaken before use !

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added over 1 year ago

Yes, in unhomogenized whole milk the butterfat tends to rise to the top, forming a layer of cream. If you don't shake the container to redistribute the fat, the milk at the top of the bottle is richer in fat than the stuff below.

Hence "rich milk" or "top milk" (another term you sometimes see in old recipes). You can approximate it for baking by adding light cream to homogenized whole milk, 50/50 or so.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio
added over 1 year ago

You used to see (not so long ago) extra rich milk sold pretty commonly- it was whole milk fortified with milk solids (not butterfat).

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad
added over 1 year ago

My guess is whole milk, but the good stuff. Ronnybrook makes a creamline non-homogenized milk and it's insanely delicious. I love to use it in my baked goods.

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added over 1 year ago

I used to be able to buy "Extra Rich Milk" by the quart some years ago. It had more fat in it than whole milk, but not as much fat as Half-and-Half.

I would suggest using half and half.

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.