🔕 🔔

Duck Tempature

I'm pregnant and cooking duck breast, the USDA says 165 is safe, but I'm worried it's going to be charred. Is there any way to kill the bacteria but still keep it edible? Any tricks?

asked by GFChinese almost 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Cook it on the stove top first to sear and render the fat. Then put it in the oven.
I too think 165 is bit too high...but that's what the 'food police say'. Remember their will be carry over time--so remove about 10 degrees less than target and tent with foil and let it rest.

Thanks so much, trying it now!!

Remember to score the skin with some 'diamond hatch' patterns to help with the rendering of the fat...start on med-low to get the fat layer down and then crank up crisp. Then the oven to finish.
Save that fat! that comes off and make some pan fried potatoes or carrots. While the duck is finishing up in the oven.

8cb4fe9d c232 42a7 b494 8e350951f7a6  louisa with elephant ear2
Louisa N.

Louisa is a recipe tester for Food52.

Hey, GFChinese. I can share my experience. I'm pregnant myself (37 weeks) and have been eating red meat the way I like it throughout pregnancy, medium rare. For duck breast, I typically cook it between 130-135 degrees, so that it's a touch pink in the middle. If that makes you nervous cook it more. In my opinion, 165 tastes dry and over cooked. But you've got to do what makes you feel comfortable. Personally, the way I see it, if I buy super fresh meat and cook it in a sanitary environment I've got nothing to worry about.

I'm sorta with you but I'm also a terrible worrier, it makes no sense. I'm sure I would eat it that way in a restaurant and not think twice. But in my house I'd worry later. You're almost there! Congratulations!

Louisa N.

Louisa is a recipe tester for Food52.

Good luck! Congrats to you as well! :)

Be sure and sear it well...you want to the 'mallard reaction'.

/ducks

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

GFChinese, I agree with Louisa that when your pregnant, peace of mind comes first (especially if you're a worrier). One piece of protein isn't worth the energy of worrying about it, if you think that's what you're inclined to do. Congratulations to both of you, by the way!