The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

Merry Christmas, all!

I have some wild duck (two whole ducks and two whole breasts) and was planning to braise them in pinot noir w/ some dried Herbs de Provence. I've made this quite a few times using domestic duck legs but haven't cooked wild duck before, so I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks a lot!

asked by DebJ about 6 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have never made wild duck but I know that when we have cooked other wild birds a good soaking in milk first heps reduce the gaminess. I would up the amount of herbs / aromatics too - are they fat like their dometic counterparts or do you need to add some fat as well?

D640141f 822f 4a52 856d b12de6fadb9f  dinner

they don't have the fat that domestic ducks do. Can't bard them w/ bacon or pork fat b/c one of my guests keeps kosher. The milk bath sounds like a good idea.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Whatever you do, hold some back for cassoulet. It's that time of year.