Merry Christmas, all!

I have some wild duck (two whole ducks and two whole breasts) and was planning to braise them in pinot noir w/ some dried Herbs de Provence. I've made this quite a few times using domestic duck legs but haven't cooked wild duck before, so I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks a lot!

asked by DebJ almost 8 years ago

I have never made wild duck but I know that when we have cooked other wild birds a good soaking in milk first heps reduce the gaminess. I would up the amount of herbs / aromatics too - are they fat like their dometic counterparts or do you need to add some fat as well?

DebJ

they don't have the fat that domestic ducks do. Can't bard them w/ bacon or pork fat b/c one of my guests keeps kosher. The milk bath sounds like a good idea.

Whatever you do, hold some back for cassoulet. It's that time of year.