🔕 🔔

Can I roast seeds from other winter squash just like I would pumpkin seeds? I never see recipes suggest substitutions, so I wonder if acorn/butternut/delicata/etc. are just not any good when roasted...

asked by Lexmccall about 7 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I've roasted butternut and delicata squash seeds with great success.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Botanically speaking, squash and pumpkins are almost the same thing. We've done butternut, hubbard, delicata, spaghetti, even a giant zucchini that had been hidden by leaves--anything that contains big, meaty seeds.

How do you roast yours? Do you season them? We're pretty basic; most of the time we do an overnight soak in salt water and then toast them on aluminum foil at 300 degrees, stirring a couple of times until they're golden. Once in a while, we'll to butter and Worcestershire or butter and chili powder.

Thanks! Two kinds of winter squash coming in my CSA delivery next week, and I will definitely be roasting the seeds. My usual method is even more basic than what you mention: spread out on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little salt, and stick 'em in the oven at whatever temperature I have it set to.