Best pot luck dish in November?

Office party next Thursday and am looking for a savory dish to wow the crowd. Does my Food 52 family have any fresh suggestions?

asked by DC Recipe Lover over 5 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

This is my first thought: http://food52.com/recipes..., but I'm sure the rest of the community will chime in with their favorites!

smslaw

How about a simple pot of roasted winter vegetables? Chunks of carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnip, onion, a few whole heads of garlic, maybe a red pepper for color. Put in a dish, put a nice sprig of rosemary on top, cook covered in 400 oven for 45 minutes or so, then remove the cover and cook another 15 minutes. Squish the garlic over the vegetables. Reheat or serve at room temp.

I think I'd be tempted to bring this: http://food52.com/blog...
(In fact, it's on my list of things to make as soon as I can get mushrooms.)

lorigoldsby

Roasted butternut squash (diced) in 1 c olive oil until soft and carmelized. Toss squash and leftover oil with orzo pasta, blue cheese, sage and pepitas. Toss in 1 bunch of arugula or other micro greens.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Or you could cube and roast some butternut squash tossed in butter and a little brown sugar, and then toss it with wild rice (cooked in stock), diced and sautéed onion, bits of toasted walnut, dried cranberries, and a little minced parsley. You can add a little sausage to that mixture too, if you like -- works great with those flavors.

kimhw

I love shredded chicken, black beans and corn with a spicy, cheesy cream sauce. Supper easy and will last all day in a crockpot.

This might not be very 'winter' dish. But it's fantastic...easy to make ahead and can be deployed easily and served at room temp or slightly warm.
. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

It's very good. Make the meatballs the night before and fry the grapes, put in tupperware to store overnight, same with the yogurt sauce. Bring a box of toothpicks and large oval serving plate---but down the sauce. and plate the meat balls with grapes on the sauce. A side of basket of pita bread sliced in wedges (bring in a ziplock cut up) will be a nice addition.