How to make excellent osso buco?

Having a dinner party and trying to plan ahead

asked by sewz about 6 years ago

check out the recipes here on the site (lots of nice ones posted here). If you find one you like and have a question ask the hotline.

The key is low and slow, like any braise. I strongly recommend making osso bucco the day before. Let it cool in the pan with the juices, then put the osso bucco with everything from the pan into a glass storage container and refrigerate at least overnight. This technique ensures great results. Also, I think it's really important to use a crisp, dry white wine. The carrots and tomatoes in the braise will become very sweet with all that slow cooking, so you need a bright, acidic wine to counter-balance that. Sounds wonderful! ;o)

sewz

What temp do u suggest to reheat it in the oven and for how long?
Should I uses Sauvignon blanc?

Sauvignon blanc would be great!

ChefOno

Reheat at braising temperature until warmed through to at least 165F.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The key to any successful braise holds true for Osso Bucco: a good caramelization on the outside during the browning step, and seasoning with salt & pepper early, then throughout the process as needed. For the browning, dry the meat very well, season use a hot pan with hot fat and don't crowd the pan as you add the meat. Deglaze all the brown bits at the end for maximum flavour.

Also, toast the tomato paste for a minute or so to bring out the flavours before the deglazing step.

kimhw

I agree that it is always better the next day. I love that too. You don't have to worry about working in the kitchen before a dinner party.