How to make excellent osso buco?

Having a dinner party and trying to plan ahead

• Posted by: sewz
  • November 6, 2012

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 6, 2012

check out the recipes here on the site (lots of nice ones posted here). If you find one you like and have a question ask the hotline.

AntoniaJames November 6, 2012

The key is low and slow, like any braise. I strongly recommend making osso bucco the day before. Let it cool in the pan with the juices, then put the osso bucco with everything from the pan into a glass storage container and refrigerate at least overnight. This technique ensures great results. Also, I think it's really important to use a crisp, dry white wine. The carrots and tomatoes in the braise will become very sweet with all that slow cooking, so you need a bright, acidic wine to counter-balance that. Sounds wonderful! ;o)

sewz
sewz November 6, 2012

What temp do u suggest to reheat it in the oven and for how long?
Should I uses Sauvignon blanc?

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 6, 2012

Sauvignon blanc would be great!

ChefOno
ChefOno November 6, 2012

Reheat at braising temperature until warmed through to at least 165F.

Reiney
Reiney November 6, 2012

The key to any successful braise holds true for Osso Bucco: a good caramelization on the outside during the browning step, and seasoning with salt & pepper early, then throughout the process as needed. For the browning, dry the meat very well, season use a hot pan with hot fat and don't crowd the pan as you add the meat. Deglaze all the brown bits at the end for maximum flavour.

Also, toast the tomato paste for a minute or so to bring out the flavours before the deglazing step.

kimhw
kimhw November 6, 2012

I agree that it is always better the next day. I love that too. You don't have to worry about working in the kitchen before a dinner party.

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino November 6, 2012

Be sure you have some small forks or other implements handy for guests to work out that delicious bone marrow. It's the best part. To gild the lily serve out over saffron cooked rice; that's the Milanese way.