I want to make veal osso buco for 14 but most recipes are for 6. Thoughts on how to get this done?

I don't have 3 dutch ovens but having 3 different pots going at the same time doesn't sound very appealing anyway. Welcome your thoughts. It's for a birthday dinner party.

702551
702551 November 15, 2015

You need to multiply quantities by 2.33 to go from 6 to 14.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, call a local caterer.

Good luck.

Susan W November 15, 2015

You may be able to rent a large roasting pan to braise them in the oven. I'd call around to restaurant supply stores. We have one here in Portland that I have rented different items from.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen November 15, 2015

Osso buco is a great dish to make a day ahead and then re warm on day of serving. Here's a hotline thread that may be useful:
ood52.com/hotline/17490-how-to-make-excellent-osso-buco

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen November 15, 2015

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen November 15, 2015

Sorry it didn't go through..here's the thread:
https://food52.com/hotline...

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 15, 2015

If it was me I would make it a day ahead and triple the recipe. With one dutch oven make the recipe 3 times (pain the ass I now). It does taste better if made ahead and refrigerated.
To make the osso buco ahead, braise the veal and strain and thicken the sauce with arrowroot. Wipe the roasting pan clean, return the shanks to the pan, and pour the sauce over the shanks. Let them cool at room temperature for an hour, cover well, and refrigerate for up to two days. To reheat, cover the pan (You could use a large roasting pan) with foil and set in a 325°F oven until the shanks are hot, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the shanks to a dish or big ass platter, then make the gremolata (if using), adding it to the sauce and sprinkling it over the shanks.

kellyomalley
kellyomalley November 15, 2015

Terrific ideas. Love the encouragement. I'll let you know how it works out.

lloreen
lloreen November 16, 2015

My experience is that the more people you have for dinner, the less they eat. It's some odd psychological phenomenon. I'd double the recipe, not triple. not all your guests are going to be huge meat eaters. You'll have some that will barely eat a 1/4 cup. I'm sometimes astonished at how much meat recipes call for per person. If you have some sides, I'd even bet you'll have left overs...and that's never a bad thing.

ChefJune November 16, 2015

It's kind of hard to not provide one shank for each guest. I wouldn't do that.

ChefJune November 16, 2015

I would buy 8 more veal shanks and triple the rest of the recipe. You might end up a little long on the sauce, but better too much than to little. The Risotto Milanese I hope you're making to go with it will live the extra sauce anyway! ;)

kellyomalley
kellyomalley November 30, 2015

Just found out one of my guests can't eat beef. Back to the drawing board, thinking shrimp for 14 will be easier.

Nancy November 30, 2015

If you're still thinking Italian, consider Shrimp Fra Diavolo or Shrimp Marinara, throwback restaurant dishes now making a comeback, as we have the confidence to recognize good food even when it's a hybrid of cultures and origins.
Here's one recipe for each, as reminders:
http://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/season-2400/episode-2411/shrimp-fra-diavolo
http://www.marthastewart...

ChefJune November 30, 2015

If you're going for shrimp, you can't do better (imho) than Shrimp de Jonghe. https://food52.com/recipes... It's an old-time recipe that is rich and satisfying. I've never served it that it wasn't lapped up quickly. Never any leftovers. And you can set it up ahead of time and refrigerate until baking. Serve with a crunchy salad of bitter greens for great contrast.