What are the best Fall/Winter soups that can be made the day before serving to a crowd?

asked by Jenn2323 about 6 years ago

gravy lessons

My current favorite is Melissa Clark's, Red Lentil Soup with Lemon. It's perfect for entertaining. I also freeze it in individual containers for lunch.
http://www.nytimes.com...

How big is your crowd, and is the soup a started or a main course? Lunch or dinner? Meat or no meat?

Jenn2323

I am hosting a Sunday afternoon 1st Birthday party in December. I will have 25 adults and 12 children.

Have you made this? http://food52.com/recipes...
It's fabulous. It freezes well, too.

kimhw

Creamy chicken and wild rice.
Or make mini pot pies, use crescent dough over mini pans or pot pie. They only take about 10 minutes in the oven.
But my favorite for kids birthday parties are make your own pizza.
Make dough a day or two before. Roll out and stack with layers of parchment. Remember these are personal pizzas. Freeze.
Have a variety or sauces and toppings, again most can be chopped or cooked in advance. Pesto, red sauce and a creamy garlic are my favorite sauces, a mix if veggies and meats. Then cheese. Have a few basics precook for hungery little guys. Crank the oven to 400 and let everyone go crazy.