A question about a recipe: Sunday Steak with French Butter

9cc30b1e d6ee 4f1b a2d5 ad5d7a07ed24  dscf2440 1

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Sunday Steak with French Butter" from thirschfeld. It says:

"At least 6 hours before and up to the day before you plan to cook the steaks place them on a cooling rack set over a tray with edges. You want to catch the drips." catch the drips of blood? What does this do

asked by Brisk about 6 years ago

You're dry-aging the beef which will result in a better flavor and texture.

ChefOno

In a sense, you're dry aging. There will be some evaporation of moisture and a corresponding concentration of flavor. But, as importantly, allowing the steak to sit in the relatively dry environment of the refrigerator insures a dry surface that will sear quickly and preclude as much graying of the meat as possible. However, you must be careful your refrigerator doesn't hold anything that would transfer off flavors to the unwrapped meat and you don't want to let it go so long that truly dry spots develop.

That's not blood dripping, just proteins and water from the muscle tissue. The tray keeps the liquid from cross contaminating anything stored below with harmful bacteria.