🔕 🔔

can I make pizza with cake flour

I want to make pizza but the problem is I am out of all purpose/self rising flour and I have a lot of cake flour in my kitchen, will it still be fine if I make my pizza dough with cake flour.

asked by Ruth about 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I won't be the same, but it should still be edible. Whether or not that's good enough for you is your call.

Good luck.

I wouldn't waste the time or effort. Flour used for pizza has a higher protein content than cake flour. The cake flour crust won't have a good texture. See http://slice.seriouseats... a good explanation.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Ruth - here's an article from serious eats that discusses why using cake flour might not be such a good idea in pizza. http://slice.seriouseats...

Yes, Kenji does his usual thorough job in explaining the pros and cons of different flours and includes helpful cross-section photos of the finished pizzas.

The cake flour dough bakes through, but has a lot of shortcomings as a pizza dough. It would be edible but I wouldn't consider it enjoyable. But that's just me...

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I'd have to say no as well. I used bread flour on the last pizza and it was chewy, delicious!

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I'm not a baking expert but could you precook the dough, then top it and finish in the oven this way it doesn't get flattened out . If you make the dough thicker like a Sicilian pie you might be okay. Any thoughts guys?