🔕 🔔

What's the best way to season my cast iron frying pan?

asked by mommygunn about 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

So many ways. Oils and oven...oils and BBQ grill at high heat. Oils and oven at low slow heat.
But all those are just 'quick' ways to season a pan..and you should do them. The rich patina won't happen quickly but after use. Frying Bacon in cast iron is a good way to speed that up tho. Don't wash it, scrub with salt and rinse.

Lots of use!!. That's the best way to season cast iron. And after using it I let the grease cool ( not to the point of solidifying) and then wipe it out with paper towel. I have never used soap and very rarely water. Occasionally a damp paper towel followed by lots of good drying. And an FYI cast iron will rust if not dried thoroughly.

F55c808e 9df3 4926 bd09 09f0524a8690  p1030363

Here's a really simple way that worked well for me: Using a paper towel, coat the pan all over (including the handle) with vegetable oil. Place it in a 400 degree oven and bake for 2 hours. Turn the oven off and prop the door open, leaving the pan inside while it cools down. That should do it until you start cooking in it a lot, then it will season on its own. Good luck!

I can honestly say that one of the saddest culinary days of my life occured when my well intentioned roommate put my grandmother's 40 year seasoned frying pan in the dishwasher and ran it through a cycle. That has been over 12 years ago and it is just now getting back to the way it used to be.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Food52 has a good article, with video, on this very topic: http://www.food52.com/blog...

J Dave, you have my deepest sympathy.