Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Cast-Iron Skillet- am I using it right?

I just bought a Lodge cast iron skillet. I could be wrong, but I thought this would be a great substitute for a nonstick pan. I thought that as long as you season and care for it properly it would be just as good or better. However, I have been using it the past couple days- made a fried egg and then some potatoes w/ garlic- everything stuck! The food didn't come off easily and I wasn't happy. Am I doing something wrong?

asked by stephanieRD over 2 years ago
D712a164 043a 4233 80c2 db64cccad36f  hpim0093

It takes awhile for the pan to season. I know Lodge says it is pre-seasoned and you can use right away. I think they should say use it right away for bacon, fried chicken, etc. Eggs will eventually work once the pan is seasoned but it will never be like a nonstick pan. I always use a bit of butter when frying in my pan.