A question about a recipe: Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée

089f9c3e 461b 4add 9844 6a835eb7786b  2014 1030 stuck in the mud pottery ceramic shallow bowl mid 011

I have a question about the ingredient "juniper berries" on the recipe "Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée" from Genius Recipes. What do juniper berries tast like? My husband and I love port so I want to try this. Thanks!

asked by pamelalee about 6 years ago

A bit like Gin. A rather piney astringent taste.

They're a primary flavor in gin, sort of medicinal and piney, but their flavor is very subtle in this recipe. (So if you have a hard time finding them, you can feel free to leave them out without affecting the flavor much.)

Panfusine

very piney and resinous tasting, but quite pleasant..

they are awesome! A little sweet, and yes, remind me of a pine tree, but very subtly. It's a great flavor combo with cranberries. Penzey's probably has them. Or Whole Foods.