A question about a recipe: Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Cover and refrigerate. It will firm up within a few hours, or can be made several days ahead. " How "set" should this be? Mine have been in the fridge overnight and are still semi-liquid and pourable.

Kristen Miglore November 15, 2012

Oh no -- that's not right. Every time, mine have set up to the same consistency as the canned stuff within a few hours. I wonder if you didn't mash the pulp through as aggressively as I did, leaving some of the pectin behind? It should still taste good, hopefully!

Lindsay-Jean Hard November 15, 2012

Hey Dan, you're not alone! I was all excited about Food in Jar's cranberry sauce in a can (http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/11/home-canned-cranberry-sauce-made-in-a-tin-can-mold/) and the same thing happened to me, liquid cranberry sauce instead of a molded cranberry jelly. I'm thinking I undercut the cooking time, so will be trying that again this week along with Kristen's suggestion for more aggressive mashing!

mainecook61
mainecook61 November 16, 2012

It set up nicely for me. However, I found a food mill faster and much more efficient at sieving the pulp, as opposed to pushing it through a sieve with a rubber spatula.

Dan Drayer
Dan Drayer November 16, 2012

I like the aggressive mashing suggestion and the food mill variation. I wondered if using wine versus port would make a difference. I used a cabernet but I wonder if the sugar content in port would make a difference. I will try the port next time. For sure, it tastes wonderful!