🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée

089f9c3e 461b 4add 9844 6a835eb7786b  2014 1030 stuck in the mud pottery ceramic shallow bowl mid 011

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Cover and refrigerate. It will firm up within a few hours, or can be made several days ahead. " How "set" should this be? Mine have been in the fridge overnight and are still semi-liquid and pourable.

asked by Dan Drayer about 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Oh no -- that's not right. Every time, mine have set up to the same consistency as the canned stuff within a few hours. I wonder if you didn't mash the pulp through as aggressively as I did, leaving some of the pectin behind? It should still taste good, hopefully!

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hey Dan, you're not alone! I was all excited about Food in Jar's cranberry sauce in a can (http://www.foodinjars.com...) and the same thing happened to me, liquid cranberry sauce instead of a molded cranberry jelly. I'm thinking I undercut the cooking time, so will be trying that again this week along with Kristen's suggestion for more aggressive mashing!

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

It set up nicely for me. However, I found a food mill faster and much more efficient at sieving the pulp, as opposed to pushing it through a sieve with a rubber spatula.

I like the aggressive mashing suggestion and the food mill variation. I wondered if using wine versus port would make a difference. I used a cabernet but I wonder if the sugar content in port would make a difference. I will try the port next time. For sure, it tastes wonderful!