A question about a recipe: Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée

089f9c3e 461b 4add 9844 6a835eb7786b  2014 1030 stuck in the mud pottery ceramic shallow bowl mid 011

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Cover and refrigerate. It will firm up within a few hours, or can be made several days ahead. " How "set" should this be? Mine have been in the fridge overnight and are still semi-liquid and pourable.

asked by Dan Drayer about 6 years ago

Oh no -- that's not right. Every time, mine have set up to the same consistency as the canned stuff within a few hours. I wonder if you didn't mash the pulp through as aggressively as I did, leaving some of the pectin behind? It should still taste good, hopefully!

former Community Editor

Hey Dan, you're not alone! I was all excited about Food in Jar's cranberry sauce in a can (http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/11/home-canned-cranberry-sauce-made-in-a-tin-can-mold/) and the same thing happened to me, liquid cranberry sauce instead of a molded cranberry jelly. I'm thinking I undercut the cooking time, so will be trying that again this week along with Kristen's suggestion for more aggressive mashing!

mainecook61

It set up nicely for me. However, I found a food mill faster and much more efficient at sieving the pulp, as opposed to pushing it through a sieve with a rubber spatula.

Dan Drayer

I like the aggressive mashing suggestion and the food mill variation. I wondered if using wine versus port would make a difference. I used a cabernet but I wonder if the sugar content in port would make a difference. I will try the port next time. For sure, it tastes wonderful!