🔕 🔔

If my pumpkin pie recipe calls for 3 eggs + 2 yolks, can I use 4 whole eggs instead?

I just don't want 4 whites floating around my already bursting fridge or freezer...

asked by Kristin Nelson about 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Yes. The more white in the custard, the more "eggy" it will taste. There's also no law that says you need to save the extra whites - sometimes when I'm doing large scale baking I have so many extra whites I end up flushing them down the toilet. As yet I've not died from doing so.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

It will also change the texture and diminish the richness of the custard.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Extra egg whites can be frozen in an ice-cube tray, then popped out into a freezer bag, saved for those days when you just have to make a butterscotch meringue pie...

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

They are also good for the dog's coat... As HLA indicates, sometimes there are just so many it is overwhelming (of course, that can also be an excuse for Angel food cake, or any of an assortment of meringues...)