If my pumpkin pie recipe calls for 3 eggs + 2 yolks, can I use 4 whole eggs instead?

I just don't want 4 whites floating around my already bursting fridge or freezer...

hardlikearmour November 16, 2012

Yes. The more white in the custard, the more "eggy" it will taste. There's also no law that says you need to save the extra whites - sometimes when I'm doing large scale baking I have so many extra whites I end up flushing them down the toilet. As yet I've not died from doing so.

ChefOno
ChefOno November 16, 2012

It will also change the texture and diminish the richness of the custard.

Diana B
Diana B November 16, 2012

Extra egg whites can be frozen in an ice-cube tray, then popped out into a freezer bag, saved for those days when you just have to make a butterscotch meringue pie...

SeaJambon
SeaJambon November 16, 2012

They are also good for the dog's coat... As HLA indicates, sometimes there are just so many it is overwhelming (of course, that can also be an excuse for Angel food cake, or any of an assortment of meringues...)