Lobster Tails

I am making lobster tails and my question is should I cook them in the shell or take them out of the shell?

Voted the Best Reply!

Bill F
Bill F November 17, 2012

Cook them in the shell. The meat will hold together better and yield the start of a nice stock. And plus the meat is 100% easier to remove after its cooked, plus presentation factor. Etc... You get the drift.

pierino November 17, 2012

To do something kind of slick you can cook them partially in simmering water for about 8 minutes, remove the meat from the shells (hold onto the shells) finish cooking in butter and preferred seasoning and return the meat to the shell for presentation. Reduce whatever pan sauce is left and spoon over.

SandyLaFleur
SandyLaFleur November 17, 2012

Lobster tails often are split lenghtwise , pried open, and filled with stuffing, then run under the broiler. Usually you make a cracker/bread crumb stuffing with something like crab/shrimp/scallops, you might add diced tomato, green onion, garlic, and finish with a bit of a monterey jack cheese under the broiler. Some people use mayonaise in the stuffing like a crab cake. Use dill, thyme. If a recipe calls for old bay seasoning, this would be nice for thanksgiving as it has sage in it, but not everyone likes it.

Scottielew
Scottielew November 17, 2012

Thank you all for your answers! Awesome!