How long to cook dungeness crab?

We have 5 large crabs going into boiling old bay seasoned water. Just now realized we don't know how long to drop them. Help!

asked by sweetcorn almost 6 years ago

Where they live when you bought them? And are they still alive? About 15 mins.
If they were not live and look red on the shell...they've been cooked and flash frozen.
Then you just need to rewarm them in the water---about 5 mins.
The steamed and flash frozen are the ones most sold...unless you got them while they're moving.
In either case...save the shells an return to the broth and simmer a bit for a seafood stock for chowder etc.

sweetcorn

Thanks!! They are still alive.

bigpan

I live in Dungeness country (pacific coast). We buy one per person and have the fisherman kill-and-clean for us.
Put an inch of water in your crabpot with some onion slices, little bit of Old Bay, and a big splash of white vermouth.
Steam until the legs go rosy red...about 12 minutes for our pot size.
Serve with a nice dry white, Caesar salad with Italian anchovies. Crusty bread.
At our house, dessert is usually another half a crab!

Summer of Eggplant

I normally steam them alive for about 20 minutes and then let them cool for 5 more before digging in.

Claudine (Into the Dish)

I agree with the steaming method above. When you are using a camp stove or boat stove, boiling a huge pot of water takes too long. I've got three in the steamer now (trying it with seasoning, onion slices and a splash of wine as recommended above). Aiming for about 10-15 mins.