🔕 🔔

I'd appreciate any advice or tips!! I'm hosting an at-home 80th birthday party for my amazing mom.

About 50 people will pack her house & yell surprise. Need decorating and appetizer tips on a Dec. 22 shoestring. Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving!!

asked by Carletta about 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Look at the recipes from here and see what you think she'll like. http://www.food52.com/contests...
Birthday cake and coffee work, too. For my mother's 80th, we did a slide show of photos interspersed with some of her more pithy quotes (there are a lot of them.). We ran that on a large screen TV in the background. It was all the decoration we needed.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would have trays of one-bite appetizers that are not too spicy and easy to digest. Lightly toast some bread, cut off the crust and cut into 1" squares, top with devilled egg, or a slice of cold cut meat with a dab of mayo, or whatever your imagination dictates. Even a cracker with a smear of cream cheese and slice of prune is nice. And a cake with one of those candles that never blows out.!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

One thing about those trick candle is that yes, they never blow out. I've seen people take them off the cake and put them on a napkin and they re-ignite. Drop them in a glass of water.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

First, I veto anything with prunes! Even though they are delicious, the implications may not be what you want for this occasion.
I would think of nostalgia foods. Are there foods she made for the family that are especially loved (that would suit this kind of gathering). Does she have a recipe box or Betty Crocker Cookbook that you can borrow for ideas? Here's a recipe from my mother-in-law, born in 1917 -- http://www.food52.com/recipes..., that might work for you.

All of these are great and easy ideas:http://food52.com/blog...

As far as decorating, I'd go for a combo of flowers and framed pictures.

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

For my grandmother's big birthday her daughters made a timeline of her life with copies of pictures of various stages. It was really sweet and made a good conversation piece for people to ask her about various events and places she had been.
This was also a surprise party - she knew she was having a little party, but the arrival of her kids from out of state was a surprise and she was thrilled. Maybe you can soften the surprise just a little....50 people jumping out to yell surprise is a bit startling at any age.
This white bean and fennel dip is cheap and delicious with bread http://www.food52.com/recipes...