🔕 🔔

upside-down turkey

Some chefs recommend roasting a turkey upside down for half the time & then turning it back up, for moister breast meat. Would this put dents in the breast, resting on a V rack, or would the turkey breast skin stick and tear?

asked by kitts almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I'm not familiar with this method but I don't think it will put a dent. To prevent sticking, rub some vegetable or olive oil on the rack.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've tried it a few times, also on a V rack, and despite liberally greasing the rack, the skin always tore. No dents. But I also never found much of a difference in the moistness of the breast, and flipping a big, piping hot turkey isn't easy, so I gave it up. Hope you have better luck!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Sneak some butter under the breast skin and cook breast-up. Get adventuresome and make a compound butter, like sage butter, or just mix in some store bought poultry seasoning with the butter.
I always use unsalted butter. It's better butter !