Last week's finds that tickled your fancy the most. Shop best-sellers »
🔕 🔔

Best way (or tool) to skim foam when starting to boil meats for stock?

asked by KKool over 4 years ago
25438297 7c5f 449f 85c8 6d14e78bbcc4  susan.streit
boozeandsusan

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I like to use a large metal spoon with a long handle, or even a ladle. Dip the rim of the spoon or ladle slowly below the foam and scoop it up. I do the same method when skimming fat from a stock.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

The very best way is to make the stock a day or two early, put in the fridge, then simply "lift" the fat solids off the top.
Otherwise I use a teabag strainer.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Skimming fat and skimming scum are different - for fat, the fridge method works best. But for scum I'm with Susan - I don't think the slotted/perforated spoons are very effective, and they just end up frustrating me, so I also go with a ladle or deep-bowled spoon. My frugal nature resents taking stock or water away from the pot but it makes for a much better product to skim thoroughly.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

First off, don't boil the stock if you're going to skim. The turbulence created will keep the fat and protein particles in suspension. Barely simmer, uncovered.

Skimming is all about making a clear stock. If you care about that, skim away. And either blanch or roast the meat, bones and skin before beginning (roasting will create much more flavorful results). Start with cold water and bring it *slowly* to a bare simmer. Ladle -- not pour -- off the clear portion of stock, stopping when you hit the murky layer. Then do this: Taste the clarified stock and compare that with the cloudy stuff left in the bottom of the pot. Surprise! That's why I don't clarify my stocks.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I was just about to offer the exact same advice as ChefOno. After hours of simmering I ladle mine through two chinois with a layer of cheese cloth in between. When making poultry stock I remove as much skin as I can tear off with my fingers as it doesn't improve the flavor in anyway. Refrigerated over night you will probably still have a "fat cap" that is easily removed.

Bo
added 1 day ago

I use the smallest attachment on my vacuum cleaner and suck the scum off

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio
added 1 day ago

I'm sure you mean"gently simmer" never boil

added 1 day ago

i learned this on youtube on asian cooking. simmer (they boil) meat/bones for 10 minutes starting in cold water. dump water and wash off meat/bones in cold water, getting all scum off. wash or use clean pan and start over in cold water. when scum rises, uses a very fine mesh strainer, about 3 inches in diameter, and scoop out all of the scum. i think i got my strainer at the dollar store. this is how the viet namese get the pho broth so clear. this is a great trick. also, to remove fat, put in freezer or fridge and spoon off in big chunks.