🔕 🔔

What if I don't press out the cranberries for the cranberry gelee?

This red wine, sugar, juniper berries recipe looks delicious, but now I wonder if I want to keep the burst cranberries. Would that produce a more traditional result, or just a mess?

asked by svz almost 5 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

It will be just as delicious, only chunky, not a smooth jelly-style. I would crush the juniper berries before adding them to the cranberries.

svz

Well, I added everything before asking, so should I put it all through a Cuisinart to crush the juniper berries and peppercorns? Or is there a better way?

If you already cooked the cranberries with the whole peppercorns and juniper berries, I'd really suggest pressing and straining the mixture. The peppercorns and juniper were meant for flavor and won't be pleasant to eat. I have serious doubts that blending would improve the situation. You can add cooked, crushed cranberries to the strained mixture if you prefer a chunkier sauce.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

If you haven't made it yet, put the juniper berries and peppercorns in a sachet (cheesecloth tied into a small bundle will do) and remove it after cooking or even just before serving for maximum flavor.