What if I don't press out the cranberries for the cranberry gelee?

This red wine, sugar, juniper berries recipe looks delicious, but now I wonder if I want to keep the burst cranberries. Would that produce a more traditional result, or just a mess?

• Posted by: svz
  • November 18, 2012

mrslarkin November 18, 2012

It will be just as delicious, only chunky, not a smooth jelly-style. I would crush the juniper berries before adding them to the cranberries.

Voted the Best Reply!

cratecooking
cratecooking November 18, 2012

If you don't strain the cranberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve you will end up with a more traditional-style cranberry sauce. I wouldn't expect it to taste any different, and personally would prefer that style of cranberry sauce!

svz
svz November 18, 2012

Well, I added everything before asking, so should I put it all through a Cuisinart to crush the juniper berries and peppercorns? Or is there a better way?

joshapiro
joshapiro November 18, 2012

If you already cooked the cranberries with the whole peppercorns and juniper berries, I'd really suggest pressing and straining the mixture. The peppercorns and juniper were meant for flavor and won't be pleasant to eat. I have serious doubts that blending would improve the situation. You can add cooked, crushed cranberries to the strained mixture if you prefer a chunkier sauce.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 19, 2012

If you haven't made it yet, put the juniper berries and peppercorns in a sachet (cheesecloth tied into a small bundle will do) and remove it after cooking or even just before serving for maximum flavor.