🔎

• 5

• 5232

What can you use instead of morel mushrooms

Wholefoods_user_icon
Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

Morel mushrooms have a very woodsy, earthy flavor, so if you must substitute, I'd use another variety of wild mushrooms (dried should be fine), or you could try something like porcini or hen-of-the-woods (the former might be easier to find).

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Fresh Chanterelles or dried porcini mushrooms can be used

Fresh chanterelles should be arriving soon, although I haven't seen them yet. That said, morels are kind of unique for their fancy cap, texture and flavor. The dried version can't come close to the fresh ones.

Susan.streit

Susan is a recipe tester for Food52.

Any variety of wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, maitake, etc.) should be sufficient. I would avoid portobellos and white button mushrooms. If you can find/afford morels, they are a real treat!

Susan.streit

Susan is a recipe tester for Food52.