A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

79d09d1b e8cc 451c 8ece 5ce799a08b81  food52 11 01 11 5791

I have a question about the ingredient "whole star anise" on the recipe "Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise" from merrill. what is this

asked by Summer Cat almost 6 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

It's a lovely spice often found in Chinese Five Spice Powder. It's reasonably popular -- you should be able to find it at most grocery stores!

ChefOno

Although unrelated botanically, liquorice, anise, star anise, and fennel share a similar flavor profile due to the chemical anethole, common to all. Star anise has a strongest flavor among them.

If you have a Mexican market nearby, or your grocery store has a Mexican spice section, look for it there where it will cost you a quarter of what you'll pay for Spice Islands brand in the regular spice section.