🔕 🔔

Canola v. Vegetable oil

I see recipes that call for canola or safflower oil. I own neither, but do have vegetable oil. Can I sub that and how will it effect the product, ie. cake?

asked by barb48 almost 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I can't think of any reason any neutral oil couldn't be substituted for another when baking. Dressing a salad, high temperature frying, heath concerns, cost are different matters.

8c848bd6 b952 44c4 93c3 bc8465a6fd74  phone 176

Canola oil and vegetable oil are essentially the same thing. The word "Canola" is a brand name meaning Canadian Oil-Low Acid. It's intended use was as a lubricant, but has been deemed safe for human consumption. FYI! Adding a little to your more flavorful fats, like butter or olive oil, will raise their smoking point!