dutch process cocoa v. hersheys

Will a recipe that calls for Dutch process cocoa not work or taste like crap if Hershey's cocoa is used instead? What's so special abt. Dutch process?

asked by barb48 almost 6 years ago

Dutch process cocoa is treated with an alkali to neutralize the acids, resulting in a milder cocoa powder. Regular unsweetened cocoa is more bitter and more complex. Not sure what you're using it for but if you're concerned about flavor, I think Hershey's should be ok, maybe just stronger in flavor.

SeaJambon

The alkali difference becomes important with the leavener used. David Lebovitz has a good explanation at http://www.davidlebovitz...