Recommendations for gluten free pasta?

I am looking for something with texture, nothing mushy. I see many options including rice, corn and quinoa pasta and I'm not sure where to start!

Sam1148 November 25, 2012

You could get a Vegtable turner. It's the thing Japaneese use to make raddish threads and carrot threads.
http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN7-Cook-Helper-Slicer/dp/B000BI6CZ8/ref=pd_sbs_k_3
Use that for Zucchini threads and slightly cook them and use like pasta.
It's also good for turning out long thing threads of potatoes to mound up and fry.

Monita November 25, 2012

My friend, who has two children with celiac disease and can't have gluten, prefer - Bionaturae brand gluten-free pasta
http://glutenfreegirl.com...

fearlessem
fearlessem November 25, 2012

A gluten-free friend served me the Tinkyada Brown Rice pasta, and I was really impressed with it. If she hadn't told me, I might not even have known -- would have thought it was just a hair past al dente, but easily in the range of what regular wheat pasta tastes / feels like...

Greenstuff November 25, 2012

I'd suggest that you just plunge in and give a few a try. We don't need to be gluten-free, but I've had delicious corn pastas.. And Asian ones, like rice and mung bean have been popular in their own spheres since way before eating gluten free was on so many people's radars. No need for mush with any of them.

witloof
witloof November 26, 2012

I"m not gluten free, but I buy Ancient Harvest Corn and Quinoa pasta just because I like it. I highly recommend it.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld November 26, 2012

I have tried multiple gluten free pastas. My favorite is a gluten free fresh pasta sold at Whole Foods but I like to have pasta in the pantry. What I have found is many brown rice pastas turn mushy very easily. I like Lundsberg farm linguine and Hodgson Mills as well as Arrowhead mills. There are a couple 100% corn pastas that are very nice but definitely taste like corn/polenta which is great at times but not always what I am looking for. As far as the blends go, rice soy and potato or whatever they may be they in general, for me anyway, have a sweet flavor and sometimes a texture I just don't like. Realize most of the gluten free pastas are twice or more as expensive as other pastas and more often then not are packaged to look like a 16 oz. box when in fact they are 8 to 10 ounces. My point being you buy one to feed four to get home and find out you don't have enough pasta.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld November 26, 2012

one last note, read the labels, for example most quinoa pastas have wheat flour in them

GFChinese
GFChinese November 26, 2012

I have tried all of them, and I'm pretty certain this one is the best http://www.gourmetimportshop.com/Riso-Bello-3-Grain-Gluten-Free-Spaghetti-Pasta-p/c5037.htm

Stinky in Brooklyn carries it, if you're around there...

FutureChef
FutureChef November 26, 2012

I second the benriner/spiralizer/rotary-vegetable-slicer. No need to even cook. Yellow squash, zucchini, turnip, beets, carrots work wonderfully and easily.

Carol Blymire
Carol Blymire December 1, 2012

Ashley, it can be intimidating, can't it...? There are different pastas I like for different things. To make mac and cheese or to serve with sauce, Bionaturae is my favorite. It cooks nicely in salted water, holds its shape, and tastes the most like "real" pasta. In soups (chicken noodle, etc.), I prefer Tinkyada brand rice pasta (elbows and penne are outstanding). For lasagne, deBoles lasagna noodles are my favorite. Hope that helps!

Adriana rowland
Adriana rowland July 18, 2013

Have you ever heard of spaghetti squash ?
When baked the flesh can be raked out with a fork into spaghetti like strands. They are available year round at your local grocery store

Jodee Ross
Jodee Ross July 19, 2013

Papardelle's Pasta has a great assortment of gluten free pastas. They take longer to cook but they're delish :D And not mushy.

Jodee Ross
Jodee Ross July 19, 2013