🔕 🔔

Any ideas for a dessert with no butter and no cream?!?!? For a dinner guest.... Hoping for something more interesting than angel food cake.

asked by ryanm over 5 years ago

This chocolate mousse contains no butter and no cream -- fun to make, and interesting technique! http://food52.com/recipes...

ATL
ATL

If you'd like something light, fresh raspberries on a pool of raspberry sauce are nice. You can bu some frozen raspberries with superfine sugar to taste in the food processor, push through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, and brighten a bit with a small splash of creme de cassis if desired.

bigpan

Sabayon !

Try a test run of banana sliced on the bias. With some sugar on top and caramelized with a blow torch to form a hard shell. Serve with some coconut milk/sugar/ginger ice gratin

Mlouise

I just answered this in the wrong place...let's see if I get it right this time. David Lebovitz's chocolate sorbet is fabulous....sublime with a raspberry sauce or this time of year with an oven roasted pear.

JenniferJuniper

If you have an ice cream maker, you can make an amazing sorbet with Coco Lopez (yes, the one you put in Pina Coladas) and canned lychee fruit. Just puree together and process in the ice cream maker. The lychee adds an interesting, floral note.

ryanm

Wow--thanks, all, for these great ideas. I was both flummoxed by the restriction and slightly suspicious of it. On the bright side, though, your responses remind me that there is, in fact, a world beyond butter and cream (just not my world!). These are some super ideas I'll work with.

mainecook61

Roasted caramelized pineapple. Simple and delicious.

ATG117

you can also substitute coconut oil or margarine (if you're willing to overlook the travesty of the product) in most recipes. There are numerous oil-based recipes for apple cakes on this site.

I do a lot of poached pears through the holiday season. Depending on presentation, they can be elegant or rustic, and there's endless variety for poaching liquids and spicing.

ryanm

Just ran across some nice pears in the market--I think I'll poach them in red wine, ginger, etc. and serve with St. Agur. Oddly, my dinner guest who can't have butter or cream can eat cheese with abandon.

My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, digested yogurt and hard cheese much more readily than she could milk, butter and cream, especially when she was younger. Try to tolerate the intolerant!

My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, digested yogurt and hard cheese much more readily than she could milk, butter and cream, especially when she was younger. Try to tolerate the intolerant! :)

The Spiced Life

Some of these fruit ideas would go well with shortbread. There is a FANTASTIC Spanish shortbread type cookie made with lard. Let me know if you want the recipe.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

How about floating island? If you want to spice it up, you can also add caramel or raspberries.

Hilarybee

Here's recipe for a Persian style Orange & Almond cake. Credit to the BBC food! The oranges are boiled, then pureed--then ground almonds, eggs and sugar is added. Bakes in about 40 minutes and is fantastic. 2 oranges, whole, boiled for about two hours and pureed in a food processor. (Do remove the seeds!) 6 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 250g ground almonds 250 g granulated sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder. Whip the eggs with the whisk attachment (either beaters or a mixer) for about 3-4 minutes, until they are frothy. Alternate between folding in the orange puree and the ground almond/sugar mixture. Will yield two 9" cakes. I like to put marmalade in the middle.