🔕 🔔

I spilled turmeric on my kitchen counter. What's the best way to get the color out?

asked by Chitra Agrawal almost 5 years ago

ATL

Can you tell us what material your countertops are made of?

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Start with lemon juice or vinegar and "magic eraser" type sponge.
Rinse and see if that removed it. Then try some Bar keepers friend in a paste.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I agree with Sam , Barkeepers Friend is a miracle cleaner. Paste is better than powder.

I discovered by accident the strangest solution to this problem (my counters, fwiw, are laminate). I accidentally grabbed my bottle of Fit fruit and veggie cleaner when I was grabbing for the counter spray. It caused the colorant/stain to well up and darken, almost as if it had purged it out of the counter. Then it wiped right up.

Depending on what your counters are made of, hydrogen peroxide may help. It certainly won't hurt anything.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Not having this range of solutions, I have found that even after cleaning turmeric still remained on my counter tops, but over time it lightened and couldn't be seen. (Another vote for benign neglect.)

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I have caesarstone countertops and clean the tough stains, including turmeric, with Softscrub. It eliminates it completely.

This has worked on my ceaser stone as well as my old laminate. A paste of baking soda and water, let dry. It may take multiple applications. It took sharpie out of my white ceaser stone.