Looking for suggestions, please, for an authentic Korean cuisine cookbook?

Intermediate or advanced level recipes are okay. Thank you!

HalfPint December 5, 2012

I don't have a cookbook recommendation, but I do have a web page for good Korean recipes: maangchi.com. She's got some good recipes with YouTube videos that are well shot .

Christine
Christine December 5, 2012

Maangchi is by far the best source I have found for real Korean recipes.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks December 5, 2012

Unfortunately, I also don't know of any good Korean cookbooks (I'm sure they are out there, somewhere...). However, I have cooked the Korean style BBQ from this site and it tastes fantastic! Just like the short ribs I'd order in LA's Korean town. http://food52.com/recipes...

pierino December 5, 2012

CarlaCooks, thanks for the plug. I used flank steak because it happened to be the Food52 theme ingredient. But the marinade will work just as well with more traditional flanken style ribs.

pierino December 5, 2012

Unfortunately there is damn little out there. One of the most recent contributions is The Kimchi Chronicles by Maja Vongerichten (the wife of Jean-Georges). At least it will explain all the typical Korean ingredients to you.
In my opinion the most important and influential chefs in this country are Korean-American; David Chang in New York, and in LA, Roy Choi and Sang Yoon. Chang is a total mad man. His Momofuku cookbook isn't strictly Korean but you'll see where his thinking is going.

AntoniaJames December 5, 2012

I found Marja Vongerichten's book to be quite interesting as well as an excellent introduction to Korean cooking. And because her husband and his contacts were collaborators, it's nicely put together, too. ;o)

Jennifer Ann
Jennifer Ann December 5, 2012

Thanks everyone! I now have a great place to start!