How to cook wheat berries

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Here's a basic recipe. Enjoy! http://wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/recipes/11427_basic_wheat_berries

healthierkitchen

this is what I do for 1 cup wheat berries to be used in a recipe:
Soak the wheatberries overnight in water to cover by a couple of inches. When you're ready to cook them, drain and place in a medium to large saucepan with three cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. Begin checking them at 30 minutes - you want to see the endosperm appear at one end and they should be a little chewy but not tough. Drain the wheatberries and then immediately place back into the hot pan and cover and let steam off the heat for another ten minutes. Transfer cooked wheatberries into a bowl.