Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

how long to pressure cook soaked wheat?

Looking at Hippressurecooking website, they suggest cooking dry wheat berries for 30 minutes on high.

I've put my wheat grains to soak over night, which is going to change the cooking time... what's my new cooking time to pressure cook my wheat grain?

Is soaking my grains going to change the amount of water I should add to the cooker? From dry, it looks like I do 1:3, grain to water ratio, but would I do the same for soaked grain?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago
Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer to this in time. At first I thought this chart (http://www.healwithfood...) would help, but then I realized that while it has soaked grains on it, it only includes stovetop times for them, not the pressure cooker times.

How long did you end up cooking the soaked wheat berries for?

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I ended up cooking for 20 min at high pressure. They were quite well done and the grains were burst open. Next time I will try for 15 min, but instinct suggests that 12 might be the magic number for pre-soaked wheat berries.

Another thing I noticed is that the ratio of water to grain (usually 1 cup grain to 3 parts water when pressure cooking from dry) could be different when cooking from soaked. I think next time I'll try 1:2 or 1:2.5 to see how it goes. I want enough water that things don't burn on the bottom, but with 1:3 everything was soggy and tasted watery.

I was going to guess 20 minutes! (And would have guessed incorrectly, obviously.) Maybe you'll have to create a chart of your own to help others after figuring all of this out.