🔕 🔔

Q: I'm allergic to nuts but see it in so many yummy crusts for pies, cheesecakes, etc. Any thoughts on how to get around?

asked by @GourmetDrizzles almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

There are many pies, cakes and cheesecakes that have crusts without nuts that are very delicious. Is there a particular recipe you wanted to adapt; or would you like a basic pie crust recipe. Here's a great vegan pic crust recipe that would go with any pie:

And here's a pumpkin cheese cake recipe with a ginger snap crust

I'm allergic to nuts as well, and am perfectly happy leaving them out of crusts. On the other hand, are you also allergic to peanuts? They are a legume, not a tree nut, and I can and do eat them with abandon. I buy raw, unsalted peanuts and toast them in the oven, then pulse in a food processor, just as I would any other nut. They're lovely in cheesecake crusts and pie crusts as well.

77c2c8c5 df9b 49e3 b47c d053bfb04bd5  stringio

I am also allergic to nuts (and peanuts). I often sub in seeds (sunflower or pumpkin) for nuts in a recipe. I haven't tried in crusts but think toasted pepitas would work well.

Toasted pepitas sound wonderful!

Ce5b520e f971 46e3 afeb f5b82dc2afa7  di headshot new

Thanks everyone for your input! I am also allergic to peanuts and seeds, but love the gingersnap idea. There was a recipe from Paula Deen for a cherry cheesecake that used nuts as the base, so I might just work with graham crackers or try the gingersnaps. That would add a nice depth of flavor to it all!