cooking in Florence

I will be in Florence, It, this spring visiting my college student. I'd love to do some cooking while there, and take advantage of the markets. I'd love any really recent recommendations (I have been there a couple of times before)for any food and cooking related adventures. Would especially love if anyone has a lead on the rental of a small apartment with a kitchen! Grazie!

ChefJune December 18, 2012

I suggest contacting Judy Witts Francini. Her website is divinacucina.com. She's lived in Tuscany, teaching cooking and taking folks around the area for more than 25 years now. She's a lot of fun and very knowledgeable.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis December 18, 2012

W, we have rented some really great apartments in Florence via vrbo.com. all have had kitchens and if you can find one near St. Ambrogio market, you'll be in heaven w/ the produce and pasta stalls not to mention the best panificio (i think) and some great bakeries. i'll message you my sister's info too- she's lived there for 6 yrs and has real estate agent friends! also might know about cooking classes!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis December 18, 2012

meant airbnb or homeliday, not vrbo...

boulangere December 18, 2012

I'm so sorry not to have answered your email! It's been a riotous Christmas party season, and I'm finally getting a day off today. We stayed at the Residence San Niccolò, and couldn't have been happier. Its location was perfect - our bedroom window looked out over the Arno, which was incredibly beautiful, and it is a short walk to almost everywhere from it. There are lots of markets in the area, and the kitchen was heavenly to have. We had all the dishware, pots & pans, etc. that we needed, as well as a small fridge. I did a lot of cooking for her and her friends, and enjoyed every minute of making Italian food in Italy. Oh, and there is even a laundry room - free!

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/sanniccolo.en.html?aid=318615;label=New_English_EN_USA_Hotel-ox3suNWvULolOudq13mKhgS18358863145:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t2:neg:kw_inurl:en.html%23inurl:booking.com/hotel:ws=&gclid=CM3vjaz8pLQCFUlxQgodVmEA3w

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen December 18, 2012

thanks Cynthia, I will check it out. I envision cooking for my son and his friends, too!

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen December 18, 2012

Many thanks for all the promising leads!

bigpan
bigpan December 18, 2012

The food market is very good in Florence. Best to go in the morning.
And, you "must" go for lunch at Trattoria Ponte Vecchio and have pear stuffed sachette in the white truffle cream sauce. If not on the menu, just ask for it.

It is worth the wait while they make it fresh.

Kim O
Kim O December 19, 2012

We just went there a couple of weeks ago and ate tons of amazing food...I'd suggest buying minichelli's 'Eat Florence' app. It was soooo helpful, has a map, can be accessed without Internet, and covers everything from restaurants to markets, to kitchen stores, coffee, etc. We went with a pretty serious plan of action and by the end just used her suggestions for every meal because they were so spot on. Our favourites? Trattoria Sostanza for the pollo al burro (butter chicken), Nerbone in the market for cheap spicy bollito and lampredotto sandwiches (breakfast or lunch), and Zeb for an amazing meal (truffle covered pasta, eggplant parm, HUGE plate if roasted veggies) in a cool setting (only good for small groups). Happy eating!!

Pamela Sheldon Johns
Pamela Sheldon Johns December 21, 2012

Great responses so far. I second the app Eat Florence and classes with Judy Witts. You might also check www.LorenzodeMedici.it for classes. And if you want to get out in the countryside, you can do a class at my farm in Montepulciano! www.Poggio-Etrusco.com
If you don't have a car, we'll pick you up at the Chiusi train station, just an hour south of Florence.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 29, 2013

Pamela - thanks for the info. I just ordered your recent book and now finally have gotten back to this question and see your answer here! I'm not sure if our schedule will allow me to do a day trip, but I would love to so as it gets closer I will see if I can make it work.

Giuseppina Marcolini
Giuseppina Marcolini February 5, 2013

Ciao, have a look at La Pentola delle Meraviglie Cooking School in Florence run by Barbara http://bit.ly/RuHopQ

Giuseppina Marcolini
Giuseppina Marcolini February 5, 2013

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen February 5, 2013

thanks Giuseppina, I will take a look!

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo February 6, 2013

I have copied all these wonderful answers and hope we can use them on our next trip. Thanks to all suggestions, and healthierkitchen for a great thread!