em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

i compost all mine that i don't feed to my dog. if you don't have a dog or compost, perhaps you could put some in pitcher of water and stick it in the fridge? i love cucumber-infused water. peels might give a more subtle flavor than do cuc rounds but it might be worth a shot...

bigpan

Can be wrapped around inside a base for a floral display.
Put in a large water jug for a refreshing drink.
Chop into shreds for a top garnish on canapés.
Shred into a salad.
Chop and add to mayo in a sandwich.
Put in the garborator.

bigpan

Base should be vase - iPads always INcorrect spelling !

For something radical you could try using them as a sushi wrap.

There is a limiting factor to consider -- if they are waxed, they shouldn't be used for food! If not, consider a cucumber jelly with shredded peels (very appealing...). Or part of vegetable stock ingredients. And (to state the obvious) wash them -- in winter especially, unless organic, they are coming from distant and very commercial sources.

fhp
fhp

Mmm cucumber jelly sound like the next new thing. Have a recipe?

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for your creative suggestions! I think I'll try several of them. (The cucumbers are organic, by the way.)

fhp, I don't have the recipe for cucumber jelly. It was made and sold by Elsie Masterton (author of 3 Blueberry Hill cookbooks) during the 1960's. It was pretty, light, and fine shreds of cucumber peel made it a visual pleasure. It has peeled, ground cucumbers and lemon zest... and that's all I know.

rue
rue

you can use it as a fertilizer

Stephanie

Cucumber salt? I imagine it'd be great for rimming a margarita, fish tacos, fresh tomatoes, etc. I'm thinking this recipe might be a great jumping off point...

https://food52.com/recipes...