Borage ?

Just bought a pot of borage and planted it in my garden. It is deer resistant. (yay!) and the leaves and flowers supposedly taste like cucumbers .
Any ideas for using it?

• Posted by: jamcook
  • April 21, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

lifeandlarder
lifeandlarder April 21, 2014

Freeze the pretty purple blue flowers (with water) in ice cubes. They look beautiful in drinks and have a sweet honey like flavour. Because they are edible, you can safely use them as a garnish. The leaves are a little prickly and I wouldn't like to eat them, but believe they are used for medicinal purposes. Make an English Pimms punch on a beautiful spring day. All you need is Pimms, Canadian style dry ginger ale, orange slices, cucumber spears, bruised mint and the borage ice cubes.

Maedl April 21, 2014

BBC's website has a few recipes for borage. There are also some ideas here: http://thebestgardening.com/borage-borago-officinalis/

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich April 21, 2014

They are beautiful in a salad with nasturtiums. The blue and orange flowers really look great together.

jamcook
jamcook April 21, 2014

Thanks everyone... Maybe I should get some more plants! Let's hope they really are " deer resistant" .Trena , I love Nasturtiums ,and used to to plant them every year , putting them in salads and on cakes,until they became beloved by both deer and raccoons.

mainecook61
mainecook61 April 21, 2014

Borage will also self-seed, if you let it.