What is the difference between lemon thyme and thyme

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

Lemon thyme is only slightly more 'lemony'. Generally, there's not much to differentiate the two varieties

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Actually, I think that the difference is quite prominent, lemon thyme being much more savory. It smells like a hybrid between lemon and thyme. I would use them in dishes very differently.

But the family of thymes goes well beyond just these two examples. I like using thymes because it's easy to cultivate and complements so many things. I have some lemon thyme growing outside and when crushed between your fingers gives a nice, strong lemony scent.