Spicy hot cocoa with peppermint marshmallows?

Hey guys, I'm making some hot cocoa mixes as Christmas gifts for some family members, along with some homemade peppermint marshmallows. I'm seeing several recipes that call for a tiny amount of cayenne pepper - I love the idea, as I think a little heat can really add to the depth of the drink's flavor. But I'm also not so sure how it would mix with peppermint marshmallows. Any thoughts? It's easy to leave out, and the recipe also calls for cinnamon and nutmeg, so there will be other flavors in there.

Monita December 21, 2012

The extra heat of the cayenne would be very nice. The peppermint from the marshmallows might overwhelm it but when having the cocoa on it's own you'll get that extra punch

Meatballs&Milkshakes
Meatballs&Milkshakes December 21, 2012

I agree, as long as you don't use too much, the cayenne makes it like mexican hot chocolate which I still think goes with peppermint.

SeaJambon
SeaJambon December 21, 2012

PS - if you're making marshmallows, a trick I just learned that makes a huge difference: cut them with a pizza wheel not a knife or scissors! HUGE difference!