A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Spicy hot cocoa with peppermint marshmallows?

Hey guys, I'm making some hot cocoa mixes as Christmas gifts for some family members, along with some homemade peppermint marshmallows. I'm seeing several recipes that call for a tiny amount of cayenne pepper - I love the idea, as I think a little heat can really add to the depth of the drink's flavor. But I'm also not so sure how it would mix with peppermint marshmallows. Any thoughts? It's easy to leave out, and the recipe also calls for cinnamon and nutmeg, so there will be other flavors in there.

asked by WannabeBaker almost 4 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

The extra heat of the cayenne would be very nice. The peppermint from the marshmallows might overwhelm it but when having the cocoa on it's own you'll get that extra punch

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

I agree, as long as you don't use too much, the cayenne makes it like mexican hot chocolate which I still think goes with peppermint.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

PS - if you're making marshmallows, a trick I just learned that makes a huge difference: cut them with a pizza wheel not a knife or scissors! HUGE difference!