converting weight to cups for bread

Help! My stupid kitchen scale battery is dead! I want to start baguette his morning and I do NOT want to go out in the cold. So - any thoughts on 425 g flour, 300 g ice water, 10 g salt?

• Posted by: aargersi
  • December 26, 2012

Monita December 26, 2012

Here's a great web site for doing conversions of grams to ounces etc.
http://www.metric-conversions...

mrslarkin December 26, 2012

I'm guessing it's somewhere close to 3 1/2 cups of flour. aargersi, look on the side of your flour bag (nutritional info) and see what the weight is for a serving. E.G. my King Arthur Flour says 1/4 cup = 30 grams. So 1 cup of KA flour is equal to 120 grams.

Fluff up your flour real good with a whisk. Spoon it into a cup measure, skim off the top with the flat side of a knife or something, and remove 2 tablespoons. That'll get you pretty close.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 26, 2012

300g water should be 300ml (give or take a tiny bit depending on your altitude) if I remember correctly.

The conversion for flour, depends on what kind of flour you are using. Assuming All Purpose Flour, then 425g of flour is (roughly) 804 ml according to this site http://www.traditionaloven... which also has conversions for several different kinds of flour.

Knowing of course, that converting weight to volume is an imprecise science as any little thing can effect it like moisture content in the air, how tightly packed the flour is, if it's sifted or not, &c. But then again, back in the day, not all home kitchens had scales and home baking was done by feel more than by recipe and precise measurements.

mrslarkin December 26, 2012

300 g water is equal to a smidge more than 1 1/4 cup water. I'll measure the salt next.

mrslarkin December 26, 2012

and 10 g salt is a good tablespoonful.

mrslarkin December 26, 2012

i weighed these w my oxo digital kitchen scale.

aargersi December 26, 2012

Thank you guys! Mathy stuff so NOT my forte!!! The dough is having a rest in the fridge ...

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 26, 2012

Please let us know how it turns out.

susan g December 26, 2012

I recently got a digital scale, but I have been using a spring scale for a while, with both metric and 'English' units on it. The spring scale may not be as precise as the digital, but making bread has wiggle room -- you're an experienced baker, right? (I believe that dependence on devices supresses our innate and learned instincts in cooking, the handfuls and pinches of our predecessors, which produced many superlative results.)

aargersi December 27, 2012

Hi Susan - oh I am so NOT experienced at baking - but I do fly by the seat of my pants a LOT in the kitchen, and I have made this baguette recipe with my brother (once), so I know more or less what I am shooting for. Today I add starter and stretch and fold, then tomorrow I bake. I will post a photo if they come out nice!!!!