🔕 🔔

Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

Sorry! Don't know why this posted twice.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I know when you are dealing with old school Italians it can be difficult to please, I know they avoid vegetables but almost every Italian I know eats broccoli rabe, you could do an orecchiette with broccoli rabe, and use Italian turkey sausage instead of pork. It has plenty of flavor without having to use a lot of salt so thats good for high blood pressure and regarding the diabetic they can eat more of the sausage and broccoli rabe and less of the pasta. I like your lasagna idea it is always a great option.

1e0a61e6 6009 42d2 80f8 aa8dc9fbedcf  chef lisa

Totally agree with the Italian turkey sausage! Pasta is a simple carb and can effect sugar levels but there are many whole grain pasta options out there which will help with this. Maybe consider polenta layered with Italian turkey sausage, a dribble of marinara then sprinkled with your favorite Mozzerella (naturally a lower sodium cheese). Also, minestrone soup is a nice & easy one pot way for some variety. Whole grain bread on the side...yum!

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

Pasta isn't great for diabetics, so this is tough. Marcella has some good braised short rib recipes that would freeze well.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Like minestrone, maybe a pasta e fagioli, using farro instead of pasta or a mix of farro and whole wheat orzo? Use canned tomatoes with no added salt. For a veggie lasagna, I find that my family doesn't mind whole wheat lasagna noodles. I also make what we call lasagna rollups but I've also seen called rosettes, where you use the long skinny whole wheat lasagna noodles, then fill them with a combo of ricotta cheese and spinach and sauteed mushrooms (and some tomato sauce) roll them on end with some more tomato sauce and a little cheese sprinkled on top.