🔕 🔔

Side to serve with spinach mushroom lasagna?

I'm serving an ultra-rich spinach and mushroom lasagna for a dinner party this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good side? I'll be making some garlic bread as well but would like another vegetable to cut the richness. Thanks!

asked by Reenee Gangopadhyay about 2 months ago

added about 2 months ago

One or more of:
Sliced oranges and red onions, olive oil & red wine vinaigrette.
Black and/or green olives liberally doused with lemon zest, garlic & fresh thyme.
Pickled beets.
Red cabbage slaw.
Sliced cucumbers in clear or sour cream dressing.
Roasted herbed skinny carrots, served hot or cold.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH
added about 2 months ago

You might serve nibbley bits - a sort of antipasti. I was thinking of really good olives etc. The main will be substantial.

added about 2 months ago

Kale salad with (shaved) Parmesan cheese and a bright, punchy lemon vinaigrette. You could add in breadcrumb as a crouton but you noted you'll be serving garlic bread on the side already!

added about 2 months ago

In Italy they have a taste for bitter greens from rochetta (arugula) to radicchio to broccoli rabe (rapini). Any of these would add some balance to the lasagna you described, either alone or in a salad mix. In cooking greens they tend to "hammer" them with long cooking which coaxes out all the flavors.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

added about 2 months ago

Since you already have greens in your lasagna, how about a French-style shredded carrot salad? Its tanginess and crunchiness, as well as its color, would contrast with the lasagna really well. Here are some (very simple) instructions for it on David Lebovitz's blog: https://www.davidlebovitz...

F7b8a41d 514d 440e b0f9 759602d38fad  20171201 161433
added about 2 months ago

You can never go wrong with a simple Caprese salad or antipasto. That said, your lasagna sounds absolutely divine! Would you be willing to share your recipe? I would love to try! Thanks & good luck with your party!

added about 2 months ago

I like the Ottolenghi salad with beets, rocket, and sunflower seeds in a maple vinaigrette. I make the dressing less sweet compared with how it is written (I use equal parts maple syrup, olive oil, and sherry vinegar). I like this recipe with cheesy mains because it doesn't have any cheese in it. https://jonoandjules.com...