Kumquats

I have some kumquats in syrup that I bought recently in Corfu, Greece. I intend to make a kumquat sauce (some orange juice, chicken stock) and the kumquats. Reduce and serve over scored-seared-roasted duck breast.
Should I or should I not remove the seeds from the kumquats? I understand they can be a bit bitter, but are balanced by the sweet skin and syrup.
Any other thoughts if you have used Corfu kumquats packed in syrup is appreciated.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan
  • Posted by: bigpan
  • December 31, 2012

BoulderGalinTokyo January 5, 2013
I have pickled the Kumquats that I bought at the store ( lovely shapes, all the same size) and I also cook with the homegrown ones from my yard. I remove the seeds for baking goods (chopped) but in a stew, etc. I leave the seeds in. You may remove them when eating, but they are so soft (think grapeseed oil) that it doesn't seem to matter.

bigpan January 2, 2013
Thanks Amanda. I sliced them on a bias and removed the seed (which did not taste bitter by itself). After searing the duck I deglazed with some rose', added some OJ and chicken stock, reduced and added the kumquats and its syrup. Turned out great...not too sweet, just right.
With a beluga starter on bilini, it was a perfect night.

Amanda H. January 2, 2013
Nice! And thanks for reporting back.

Amanda H. December 31, 2012
If the kumquats are already cooked I syrup then whatever bitterness was in the seeds has probably already been released into the syrup. I would taste one to be safe but I think you're ok leaving the seeds in.