🔕 🔔

My custard for a banana cream pie didn't set enough. It was delicious but runny, and I'm wondering how I can make sure it firms up next time.

asked by Gallit Schuller over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Sometimes if you use cornstarch in your pastry cream and it's cooked too long it won't set, at least thats my experience. When making pastry cream for a cream pie I use 1/4 cup cornstarch or flour to 2 cups milk or cream and 4 egg yolks. I have had pastry cream fall apart when I went past the point of no return when cooking it and it was soupy. In my experience it usually takes about 2 minutes to thicken sufficiently.

Also if you use a thermometer I believe the temperature is 170-175.