🔕 🔔

I bought a bottle of dry vermouth to use in a chicken recipe. How long will it last in my fridge? Any other recipes it would be good in?

asked by rldougherty almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

It will last 3-6 months in the fridge. You can use it with any recipe that you might use a dry white wine

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I've heard lots of opinions on this and the bottom line seems to really depend on dry vs sweet vermouth (dry, like yours, has a shorter life once opened), storage methods (fridge or not; vacuvin or similar used or not) and finally -- what you want to use it for. As a fortified wine, it becomes a "lesser" grade with time, so could still be used for cooking with good results for probably as long as a year; however, for a fabulous martini (or even just vermouth on the rocks), you will want a freshly opened bottle -- something that has been open (and fridge stored) less than a month.

I think Julia Child was the first I knew to recommend using dry vermouth as a substitute for white wine in recipes...maybe in the early '70's when I first watched her show on PBS. I've been doing it ever since with usually great results.

3163f85f 9ea0 4c51 a0f1 ea1d9a2a7140  stringio

Thanks! I am not a martini drinker so it will mostly be for cooking. Maybe I will break out "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and pick out a few things to try with it.

I first learned about cooking with vermouth with this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork...

now I use white vermouth for a pork pan sauce - it also pairs so nicely with fennel!

Vermouth is a wonderful and inexpensive sub for white wine. As for the remainder, if you're not a fan of martinis, now might be a good time to try some!

Many years ago, an Aunt of mine advised me that if I was making rice for a dinner party it was worth using dry vermouth instead of water

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Vermouth is a great addition to fish dishes that have a tomato braising liquid base. It gives a great flavor.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Vermouth is a "fortified" wine so will last after opening if kept cool and dark. The fridge is okay as is wine fridge. It will start to darken a bit and should be used within 6 months or 8 max.
You can use it for poaching fish, poaching eggs, deglazing any pan after frying meat. Can put a bit in salad dressing, or mix into jam for your morning toast and jam.
Better yet, enjoy learning to have a martini at 5pm each night !
Buy small bottle of none of the above appeals. I Buy the big bottle if you like martinis, and learn to use in more and more recipes.