🔕 🔔

Best press in savory tart crust?

I hate rolling pie crust. Pastry is my nemesis. I tried to adapt Dorie Greenspan's sweet press in tart crust for a savory tart and it turned out to have the consistency of cardboard. I would love a recipe for a mostly whole wheat crust that can be made in the food processor and pressed in. Something easy and no fuss. With olive oil,maybe? Ideas?

asked by lloreen over 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

This recipe has a great easy press-in crust that only has 1 teaspoon of sugar in it (which i think you could leave out). I've used it for lots of different tarts. I'd suggest you use half whole wheat and half all purpose flour, or white whole wheat flour to avoid cardboard consistency.

Oops here's the recipe: http://food52.com/recipes...

Funny you should ask...I've had a similar thought rolling around in my head the past few days. I especially wanted to try the olive oil angle. Here's one I'm going to try this week:
http://chocolateandzucchini...

P.S. Being made with olive oil rather than butter, I have my doubts that it's going to rollable, but I suspect it will work perfectly as a press-in crust. I'll try both, but my hunch is that the latter will work better. Depending on the results, I may consider adding an egg to it for the second test, as I read a lovely, lyrical description of an Italian crust made with olive oil that had a couple of eggs in it here: http://awaitingtable.com...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Cynthia please let us know how those crusts turn out! I am getting a CSA full of greens tomorrow and that crust sounds like it should come into play!

I will, Ab. I'll be making them tomorrow or Thursday.

Here is a press-in crust that I use for savory tarts:
2 cups flour (I use 1 Cup AP, 1 cup WW pastry)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
Simply sift the flour(s) and salt into a bowl, stir in the water and olive oil (I mix them together first). Knead for a minute or two, form into a ball, then pat into a 12 inch tart pan. I suppose it could be made in a food processor, but since it takes less than five minutes by hand, I've never bothered. Hope you like it!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I use Dorie Greenspan's Every Purpose Tart dough, and I just take out a tablespoon of flour. I like to add a bit of buckwheat to increase the savoriness.

**I take out a tablespoon of sugar, my bad!

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

Yes Cynthia, awaiting those results!