I made some pumpkin scones (http://www.kingarthurflour...) twice. First time, I made it with all AP flour. In an attempt to be a little healthier (cough), I made them yesterday with one cup whole wheat flour and the rest AP. They were quite dry. Should I have added more liquid to compensate or have used less WW? Thanks!

asked by Jocelyn Grayson about 8 years ago

Savorykitchen

Did they seem dry before you baked them? I don't think a 50% sub of WW for AP should have made a monstrous difference. Is it possible that you overbaked the "healthy" batch? You might try again, adding a little milk to the liquid ingredients, although my vote would be to get my healthy quota filled by fresh fruit instead of sneaking in WW flour. :-)

Verdigris

Whole wheat flour will tend to provide a drier texture because of the bran.

Here are two approaches you could try:

1. Reduce the Whole Wheat by 1/4 cup and see if texture improves.
2. While leaving Whole Wheat at 1 cup, substiture Honey for sugar in the recipe. Honey is hydroscopic and will attract moisture from the air. and may make the scomes more moist.

To substitute honey for 1 cup of sugar:

1. Use 3/4 cup of honey as honey will sweeten more than sugar
2. Reduce liquid ingredients by 1/4 cup as honey is a liquid
3. Add 1/2 tsp baking soda to the recipe as honey is acidic
3.

Jocelyn Grayson

Interesting ideas. Thanks. Yes - they were dry before I baked them, but I just pressed on. Dumb, I know. They aren't inedible, so I'll have another chance in a few days.

Yes, wwf sucks up moisture like crazy. These are all great tips. Verdigris, thanks for the honey substitution info. Very useful!