🔕 🔔

I made some pumpkin scones (http://www.kingarthurflour...) twice. First time, I made it with all AP flour. In an attempt to be a little healthier (cough), I made them yesterday with one cup whole wheat flour and the rest AP. They were quite dry. Should I have added more liquid to compensate or have used less WW? Thanks!

asked by jocelyng over 6 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Did they seem dry before you baked them? I don't think a 50% sub of WW for AP should have made a monstrous difference. Is it possible that you overbaked the "healthy" batch? You might try again, adding a little milk to the liquid ingredients, although my vote would be to get my healthy quota filled by fresh fruit instead of sneaking in WW flour. :-)

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

Whole wheat flour will tend to provide a drier texture because of the bran.

Here are two approaches you could try:

1. Reduce the Whole Wheat by 1/4 cup and see if texture improves.
2. While leaving Whole Wheat at 1 cup, substiture Honey for sugar in the recipe. Honey is hydroscopic and will attract moisture from the air. and may make the scomes more moist.

To substitute honey for 1 cup of sugar:

1. Use 3/4 cup of honey as honey will sweeten more than sugar
2. Reduce liquid ingredients by 1/4 cup as honey is a liquid
3. Add 1/2 tsp baking soda to the recipe as honey is acidic
3.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

Interesting ideas. Thanks. Yes - they were dry before I baked them, but I just pressed on. Dumb, I know. They aren't inedible, so I'll have another chance in a few days.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Yes, wwf sucks up moisture like crazy. These are all great tips. Verdigris, thanks for the honey substitution info. Very useful!