All questions

When you measure something like sour cream or yogurt, do you use a measuring cup for liquid, or a metal measuring cup?

asked by Betsy Babinecz about 4 years ago
6 answers 25011 views
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3
added about 4 years ago

Any fan of Alton Brown would know the best tool for the job is an Adjust-A-Cup. Absent that, use a dry measuring cup, striking the ingredient off level using the back of a knife.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825
added about 4 years ago

I'm not sure about Alton Brown, but otherwise agree with ChefOno.

56c2251d 87e7 43a2 8b06 91ece1405fcb  2016 03 27 06 17 14
added about 4 years ago

My preference for measuring gooey or viscous stuff like yogurt or sour cream is my scale. Metrics are easy because 100 grams measures 100 milliliters. For standard measure, 1 cup weighs 8 ounces so sometimes you will need to do some arithmetic. My take on Alton Brown? He is the best the food network has to offer.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

pierino is a trusted source on General Cooking and Tough Love.

added about 4 years ago

As you are talking about volume as opposed to weight (unless you are baking) it really doesn't matter which you use. Precision matters less than taste.

F8c5465c 5952 47d4 9558 8116c099e439  dscn2212

Cynthia is a trusted source on Bread/Baking.

added about 4 years ago

For "grouping" purposes, ingredients such as sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, are considered liquids because they contain a high ratio of liquid to solids. You can use a liquid measure for ingredients such as sour cream, yogurt, eggs (when the quantity called for is given in ounces), cottage cheese, whereas sour cream is so conveniently packaged either in 8-ounce packages or when in bulk packs (3 pounds, for example), the inner plastic sleeve is graduated in 8-ounce increments. When in danger or doubt, though, a scale is the best solution.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004
added about 4 years ago

My rule of thumb for this: if you are measuring something that is self leveling (such as water, milk) use the measures made for liquid-by-volume. If you are measuring something that would have to be leveled off (yogurt, flour), use the unit cups or spoons and follow Chef Ono.

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.