Yogurt vs. sour cream in baking?

If I were to replace a half cup of sour cream in a muffin recipe with a half cup of plain yogurt, would there be a noticeable difference in texture or flavor?

• Posted by: aixpat
  • August 31, 2011

Droplet
Droplet August 31, 2011

The main difference between yogurt and sour cream is thickness and fat percentage. Look at the recipe you are making and the amount of butter/ oil. In general recipes that use sour cream are a little richer tasting and it might give you a slightly denser muffin, but if the amount in question is only 1/2 cup it would be just fine to replace one with the other.

Helen's All Night Diner

I've used yogurt instead of sour cream in a sour cream coffee cake recipe. If using low fat yogurt, you may want to add a little neutral flavored oil. I usually use non fat Greek yogurt... Good luck!

boulangere August 31, 2011

Yes, you'll be fine in terms of acid to baking soda balance. As Droplet points out, the texture may be a bit less tender because of the lower fat, but HAND's suggestion to add a bit of oil (or butter!) is spot on. Personally, I love baking with Greek yogurt, too. It's nicely rich, and has that lovely tartness that you get with anything soured.

aixpat
aixpat August 31, 2011

Thank you everyone! Greek yogurt sounds like the way to go.