I was asked today if there is a difference (besides price) between the Martha Stewart cast iron French ovens and Le Creuset French ovens?

I looked onto lecreset.com and read the history of the company but besides that, what makes the Martha Stewart French oven so much cheaper?

asked by The Fiery Epicurean over 5 years ago

Lodge enameled cast iron is less expensive and supposed to be reliable. You could also try Emile Henry ceramic dutch ovens. (You can check both on Amazon.)

Donna M

LC is made in France, MS is made in China. I haven't looked at the MS cookware, but I'd bet that the finishing isn't nearly as good, and that it's quite a bit coarser. Plus the LC return policy is fabulous - they really stand behind their products. If you can afford it, I'd go with LC every time. You won't be sorry.

The Fiery Epicurean

Thank you for your answers! I was looking for a comparison guide for one of my students!

http://www.natural-health...

oregon cassie

Double-check the oven temperatures they all can handle. I recently researched the Cuisinart vs LC. Cuisinart lid can only handle up to 350 oven. I have a six-quart LC that I have loved for years & plan to get a 3 1/2 qt. just so I can make that easy artisan bread that is the rage.

susanm

if this helps: i am a long time user of LC. a friend was over for dinner and fell in love with the braised short ribs i served, and the LC vessel i served it in. she decided to go with the martha from macys version...called me a week later disappointed that the enamel had chipped the first time she used it.
you get what you pay for...LC is something you will hand down to grand kids.

The Fiery Epicurean

I absolutely agree that the Le Creuset is something that I can pass down in my family! I actually own two LC French ovens already and love, love, love them! I asked the question for a student of mine who asked what the major differences are. Thank you again fellow cooks!