Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Can I use anise in place of star anise? Am making a Vietnamese style pho broth

asked by Sim,Blaustein almost 4 years ago
Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

The vegetable Anise/fennel is very moist and wet like celery. The flavor is very mild compared to a dry star anise clove. I doubt it will transfer very well.Star Anise cloves need to steep into your recipe liquids, and an anise/fennel bulb will only add much more liquid as it cooks and very mild anise flavor. The anise bulbs will not hurt your broth at all,they just won't be as intense a flavor, and take time to cook down.

Do you mean anise seed rather than the vegetable? Of course you could use that, although you won't get the depth of flavor that star anise provides. I might also toss in some fennel seed, allspice and a clove or two. Heat the spices in some oil to intensify the flavor. I would save the fennel stalk for eating on its own, where you might get more flavor out of it.